History of The BWA
The first meeting of the Glasgow Bonded Storekeepers Association was held on 12th May 1885 at the Steels Hotel, 5 Queen Street, Glasgow. 10 Glasgow based companies were represented and from the original group only Whyte & Mackay remain in business today.
Membership was restricted to companies who held a Revenue & Custom Bond, and the object of the Association was “to generally, and always in so far as consistent with the Law, to promote interests of members”. The membership fee at that time was 1 guinea or £1/1 shilling.